Have you been wondering whether your pet rabbits should eat kai lan? If so, then read on.
In this article, we will answer all the questions that people have about feeding their pet rabbits with kai lan. We will touch on what is kai lan and its food family, can it be given to a rabbit as a food source, how much they should eat per day or week, and finally where one can find it in order to feed it to his or her pets.
What is kai lan?
In the food family of vegetables, kai lan falls under the cabbage family, which also includes kale. It is typically eaten cooked or stir-fried as part of a chinese cuisine.
How often should I give my rabbits kai lan?
Feed them kai lan once or twice a week, otherwise they would get sick of it. It’s best to have an alternative food source just in case you are running low on kai lan.
How much kai lan do rabbits eat a day?
Typically they would only eat one to two cups of vegetables, but if you are feeding them with kai lan it should be around 1/8 cup each. Thus, their daily intake would only be 2-8 tablespoons per day.
What kai lan are safe for rabbits?
The ones you can purchase from any chinese restaurant are considered safe for your pet bunnies. Though of course, make sure that they are clean before feeding them to your pets.
What is your experience feeding kai lan to rabbits?
I have just recently started feeding my rabbits with kai lan and am quite happy with the result. They love it!
Is it safe to feed kai lan to your pet rabbits?
Yes, but only in moderation. Your pet rabbit should not get too much of the vegetable, otherwise they might get sick especially if they are used to eating other types of vegetables.
Where can I get kai lan for my rabbits?
Head out to your local chinese restaurant and ask them whether you can buy some kai lan. They would be more than happy to share it with you.
What to do if your pet rabbits are sick from eating kai lan?
It is unlikely for a rabbit to be affected by it, however if they did get sick due to eating too much of kai lan, then there are simple remedies one could do. The primary step would be to take them off the vegetable and replace it with something else just to get them used to eating other types of vegetables. After that, introduce the kai lan slowly and see if they can get used to it again.
Do rabbits like kai lan?
Like any other vegetables, rabbit’s palate varies from one another, some may prefer certain types while others hate it. However if they are not used to eating vegetables yet, then kai lan would be a good vegetable to start with due to its mild taste.
Can pet rabbits eat kai lan?
Yes. In fact it is safe for them to eat and this article will guide you through some details on how to prepare food out of kai lan for your pet rabbits.
6 steps to prepare kai lan for rabbits.
- Clean the vegetables with water and set them aside.
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly to get rid of any dirt or pesticides that may have been used on them during harvesting.
- Slice kai lan into smaller pieces at around 2 inches each, as they shrink a bit when cooked.
- Pour some boiling hot water onto the kai lan and allow it to sit for at least 5-10 minutes to get the vegetables soft.
- Drain off the water and add some salt if you want, but no oil is needed at all.
- Serve warm for rabbits!
6 health benefits of kai lan for rabbits
- High in Vitamin K
- Good source of antioxidants
- High in potassium
- Helps prevent cancer
- Keeps the heart healthy.
- Increases bone density and prevents osteoporosis.
3 Possible concerns when feeding kai lan to rabbits
- If you are feeding kai lan to your pet rabbit for the first time, then it is best to introduce one new vegetable at a time so that you can monitor their behaviour. This way if they have bad reactions or get sick, then you would be able to tell which vegetable had caused the problem.
- Ensure that you feed your pets with kai lan at least an hour before feeding them their normal food, just to give it enough time for all the toxins and chemicals in the kai lan to exit their body.
- If your pet bunny has eaten too much of kai lan, then reduce the amount you feed them by half or even more to help heal their digestive system.
4 signs pet rabbits are sick from feeding kai lan.
- Lethargy or lack of appetite
- Changes in behaviour
- Lack of wanting to interact with the family
5 Tips before giving kai lan to rabbits
- Scrub the vegetables under cold running tap water and soak them in a bath of salt and boiling water for ten minutes.
- Drain off any excess water and don’t add anymore salt as this would give your pet bunny indigestion. Kai lan is naturally salty so no extra salt or spices need to be added at all.
- Frying them in oil is not necessary.
- Feeding your pet rabbits with kai lan once a week should be fine, but if you plan to feed them more often then cut the vegetables into smaller pieces to make sure that they eat it all up in one go before it starts going bad
If they don’t eat it all up, then compost the rest or toss it out. You don’t have to feed them with kai lan every day for this reason.